Thursday, July 30, 2009

To the Citadel, negotiating vegetarianism, and other tales

Alright, so Charles and I (C. Records, Esquire) just returned from a two hour whirlwind tour of the inside of the Citadel and the buildings within. Some of the structures have been fully restored, with various degrees of success, while a variety of others are in serious disrepair. What was really amazing (to me at least), was the complete accessibility of the structures and their vulnerability to tourists and to the elements. Overgrown with weeds and grasses and trees, some of the buildings looked as though they were receding back into nature.

Other highlights included observing an impromptu sword fight (with wood beams) of some very loud and blonde Scandinavian tourists atop the ruins of a temple. The buddha within me was amused, though my sense is that it was bad karma for them. In other words, watch out Hans and Olaf!

In other news, yours truly, the only vegetarian in the group, am finding it somewhat problematic to remain on the straight and narrow. Pork, I am happy to say, is thoroughly avoidable in this city, but fish seems to be in everything. Therefore, I'm sad to say, I've fallen off the wagon a couple of times in the past couple of days and given in to the urge to ingest things that formerly moved. I'm going to try to go out of my way more to avoid the fish in future, and to relegate myself to things with roots and seeds and cellulose.

Thought of the day: There is officially no reason to return to the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment